FUME vacancy: Research Assistant for Demographic Modelling
2020 December 07
The Population and Just Societies (POPJUS) Program is looking to recruit a Research Assistant to work on the modelling of population and human capital by country of birth in the EU countries as part of the funded by the European Union’s Horizon 2020 funding scheme FUME project. Apply by the 11th December 2020!
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Process a large quantity of demographic data as part of the team that develops a multidimensional demographic model
- Prepare web-based tools to share the data and model
- In line with the team spirit that prevails at IIASA, the incumbent may occasionally work on other tasks assigned by their superiors, that might not be directly related to this appointment but where the post holder has relevant experience and skills, and/or a shortage of immediate personnel capabilities requires such.
- Master’s degree in Demography/Statistics/Data Science
- Expert modelling skills in R. Knowledge of other programming languages (e.g. python) is a plus
- Full fluency in English
- Experience handling large datasets and good data management skills
- Research experience in social science, preferably in demographic analysis and modelling
- The ability to prioritize workload in a pressured environment with competing demands and to manage timelines, deliverables and milestones will be essential in order to meet the requirements of the project; therefore proven experience in project-oriented research work is also desirable
IIASA offers an interdisciplinary and international workplace and the possibility to interact with researchers of different nationalities, with strong ties to a world-wide network of research institutions engaged in environmental systems research.
The successful candidate must be able to work in, and have respect for, an intercultural environment.
The selected candidate should be available to take up the position in mid. January 2021. We will offer an initial full-time (40 hours per week), fixed term employment contract for one year, with the possibility for extension thereafter. Applicants wishing to work part-time hours will be considered.
Duties will be carried out at the IIASA premises in Laxenburg, near Vienna in Austria.
This position is classified as a ''Scientific level'' post.
The minimum annual gross salary for this position is € 32,139.00 which is exempt from income tax in Austria (subject to the principle of income aggregation – “Progressionsvorbehalt”)
The advertised salary is:
- Negotiable, based on the qualifications, skills and experience of the selected individual
- Subject to deductions for health insurance and/or social security
- Not directly comparable with other employers in Austria, due to the unique legal status and privileges granted to IIASA